Creamy, rich, and delicious! This satisfying comfort food is simple and easy.
For a different variation, replace broccoli with asparagus. If nuts are an allergy problem, replace the cashews with 12 oz silken or fresh firm tofu + 3 Tbsp tahini.
A few dollops of cooked butternut squash puree adds extra creaminess.
LEFTOVER SAUCE CAN BE REFRIGERATED or FROZEN
- 1-16oz pkg whole grain macaroni, alphabet, (454g) spiral or other favorite pasta
- 3-4 stalks broccoli, cut into florets
- CREAMY CHEEZY SAUCE:
- 6-8 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes - (or parmesan cheese non-vegans)
- 11⁄3 cups raw cashews
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp miso
- 11⁄2 tsp onion powder or dehydrated onion
- 11⁄4 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder or dehydrated garlic
- 1⁄2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 cup water (or broth and eliminate salt)
- 1-2 Tbsp capers (opt)
- Add pasta to a pot of boiling, salted water, stirring occasionally.
- Cut broccoli into bit sized pieces, adding to the pot just prior to pasta being cooked, so the broccoli can steam lightly (until tender-crisp.)
- While pasta cooks, make Creamy Cheezy Sauce.
- Place all ingredients in blender or food processor. Process several minutes until very smooth. If needed, stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the processor. NOTE: If you have leftover sauce it will keep 2-3 days refrigerated or it freezes well.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli into a colander.
- Transferf the pasta-broccoli mixture back into the cooking pot. Stir the sauce, as is, into the hot, drained pasta and broccoli.
- Optional Topping: Sprinkle with Vegan Parmesam
There are many brands of nutritional yeast flakes, which are rich in B vitamins and have a cheesy flavor.