Don’t like Brussel sprouts? You might just change your mind after testing these little morsels of yumminess. “Maple- glazing” a strong flavored vegetable like Brussel sprouts is a great way to introduce them to a reluctant eater, because the light sweetness helps to balance the sharp flavor.
READ HEALTH BITE: Brussel Sprouts
- For each person/serving:
- 1 cup Brussel sprouts, cleaned and cut in half
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp dark pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed), or a pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place oil in a glass pan and place it in the oven to allow oil to melt.
- Remove any damaged outer leaves from the sprouts.
- Rinse spouts and cut in halves with a sharp knife.
- Carefully remove hot pan from oven and transfer prepared sprouts. Put back into the oven and roast for about 12-15 minutes until tender with a fork. Remove from oven.
- Immediately, while still hot, drizzle soy sauce (or salt) and maple syrup over sprouts, and stir well.
- Sprinkle with raw or toasted slivered almonds if desired.